Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Morning... My cat started holding her front paw up last

Customer Question

Morning... My cat started holding her front paw up last Monday. He can walk on it but limps and is much slower then normal. He is eating fine and going to the bathroom, drinking ect. He has jumped up on things but still he's limping or holding his paw up. He let's me touch it without crying or biting. Not sure what could have happened. He even stretches it out.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he strictly indoors?

2- Any swelling?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is declawed and stays indoors only. No swelling in the paw but I noticed his belly felt swollen but he usually has soft stool so chalked it up to that as his belly feels fine now. He's still very sociable minus the paw..

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you

Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. He will benefit from a prescription anti inflammatory medication from family veterinarian. Unfortunately there is nothing over the counter I can recommend for you to try; all anti inflammatory and pain killing medication over the counter are toxic to cats. For now all you can do is rest him; if possible put him in a room where he could do minimal jumping and no running around. Follow up with family vet, if cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this something that will heal on its own? He has been resting for a week now with the same issue.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

If it is a soft tissue injury it can take weeks (4-6) to heal completely. He will need an anti inflammatory and pain killing medication in addition to rest as described above.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you. I will have to call our vet tomorrow