Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

13 year old cat, said to be in kidney/renal failure in

Customer Question

13 year old cat, said to be in kidney/renal failure in November according to blood work. Vet suggested at time to have iv fluids and admitted to internal meds. I know that can be fairly pricey, and I didn't want to put my cat thru all that, so I just made sure he was comfortable at home, and for whatever reason he bounced back from the lack of eating, and returned to his normal self. Fast forward to 3 days ago, I return home from vacation, and he is barely touching his wet food, but drinking water a lot. Seems to just lay around all day, but still goes to liter box. Comes to me when I call his name, and allows me to pet him, other than that he just lays around. I don't know if he is in pain or not. I don't want to subject him to multiple tests, etc/ I jut want him to be comfortable and in no pain. Since he is hardly eating- should I (can I) give him pedialyte? I'm afraid of putting him to sleep "too soon" of that makes any sense, but the thought of him hurting just upsets me so much. Advice? Thank u!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I do have to warn you that if Gucci was diagnosed with kidney disease, this will still be an issue. It may not have caused his signs before and just underlying, but if he is drinking more now then it is a concern that it is now rearing its head (as it can cause uremic gastritis that makes them nauseous as well as oral ulcers that make them too sore to eat). So, we need to tread with care and you may wish to just have his vet check his blood urea/creatnine/phosphorus (the kidney parameters) to confirm if this has worsened. If it has, they can dispense oral medication (to support the kidneys +/- appetite stimulants or anti-nausea medication if needed) for home to help keep him comfortable without major intervention.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** you can try at home just now, if he seems dehydrated then you can give Pedialyte. As well, you could also water down kitten food to syringe feed if his appetite is poor. As it is calorically dense a little will go a long way if he cannot eat much. As well, do try to counter any suspect nausea putting him off eating by using an OTC antacid Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). We'd hope that if we can reduce nausea, we may get him eating on his own and at least comfortable for the short term.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )