Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Cat drinking alot of water and urinating alot. Eating well

Customer Question

Cat drinking alot of water and urinating alot.
Eating well but I see no stools.
I let him out this morning and he was eating dandelion? leaves. He came in and vomited the leaves.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is he?

How long has he had these signs?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any weight loss?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is 11 years old. He has been to the vet recently and they said his stomach seemed to be fine. He had lost 2 pounds recently.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is short hair, and small. He weighs about 9 lbs.
I am nearlly 89 years old and my lumbar spinal stenosis causes me to not be able to walk very far, stand too long, or sit too long.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

First, excessive thirst and urination is not normal for a cat no matter their age. As descendants of semi-desert animals, the normal cat is able to concentrate urine extensively, which means that cats naturally drink very little compared to other species. In fact, if you consider your lad's younger days, I am sure that you (just like so many pet owners I speak to) hardly ever saw him drinking back then. Therefore, when we see these bodily functions become more frequent, it is a red flag that there is something amiss that he hasn't told you about.

In regards ***** ***** could cause en elderly cat to have an increased thirst/urination along with weight loss despite a good appetite, we do have a few issues to consider. Specifically, this includes conditions like hyperthyroidism, diabetes, liver disease, and kidney troubles. As well, while it isn't nice to think about, we must keep in mind that some cancer in cats his age can manifest with these signs (though this last one hopefully less likely if his vet recently examined him).

To get to the bottom of this, it would be worth having him checked by his vet again (if he is due for a vaccination soon, you could move it up a wee bit early and have him checked out at that time). The vet will be able to double check that there are no new sinister lumps and bumps to blame for his signs. And if you were able to bring in a urine sample at that point, the vet could check it for signs of diabetes (ie. sugar in the urine) as well as check its specific gravity (how concentrated it is) that can tell us if there are problems with his kidneys lurking. Urine samples can often be collected by placing the cat in a carpet-less room with an empty (or with non-absorbable litter) litter box overnight. If hyperthyroidism is a concern after your vet has examined him (since his signs are quite characteristic of this), then you may want your vet to check a blood sample to assess his thyroid hormone levels to determine is this is the culprit here. As well, if you do have a blood sample checked, you can also have his blood sugar, liver and kidney parameters checked at the same time, giving you a good chance of ruling out the above differentials and determining the cause of your kitty’s signs.

Overall, these signs raise some serious concerns for your lad. Therefore, it would be prudent to have him checked out and at least have a urine sample (or blood sample) checked. Because if you are able to identify which of these issues are triggering his signs sooner rather then later, it will give you the best chance to address and treat them as effectively as possible. And if we find it is one of our more treatable conditions, then you will be able to slow the progression of that condition, get weight back onto him, and help keep him comfortable for as long as possible.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ruby,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby Cain. How is everything going?

Dr. B.