Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat is drilling. Her tongue is showing. She. Is 1 1/2

Customer Question

My cat is drilling. Her tongue is showing. She. Is 1 1/2 years old.. Ever since she was a baby she had bad breath. She is nuttered and had her shot from all about animals. She is one of 5 cats that needed a home. Three cats like to go outside off and on for a few hours. They are always inside at night. She has dry food and soft food. She has had this problem for a couple of weeks now. she has lost weight. I have been trying to see that she gets as much soft food as she wants. She doesn't eat very much.
What can I do to get her well? I would be grateful for all of your help.
Rose j Morroni.(###) ###-#### ***@******.***
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any sores in her mouth or changes in her breathing?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting? Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again, Rose.

I have not heard back but want to leave my thoughts about Angiolina.

Now her signs do raise a few concerns here. In regards ***** ***** for drooling in a young cat, we can see this with nausea or oral discomfort. The former can be related to gut infections, dietary indiscretions, pancreatitis, and foreign bodies. Where oral discomfort (quite a concern is she has always had breath issues) could be triggered by dental disease, any foreign material lodged between the teeth, oral ulcers from viral infections, or injuries to the tongue (via rodent bites, etc). As well, if she has had access to plants, both oral discomfort and nausea could result. And while we can also see this with space occupying lesions (polyps, masses), these would be less likely at her age.

With this in mind, we are limited in what we can do. Oral issues don't really have a home treatment option since there are no cat safe over the counter pain relief options (our human ones are terribly dangerous for cats). Though if she seems nauseous, you can try her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Otherwise and as long as we haven’t active vomiting, we can consider syringe feeding her. And this would be worth considering if she has been off food for a bit, as we need to avoid secondary liver issues making it even harder to get her eating again. To syringe feed, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.

Overall, these are the main things I would be considering in your wee one’s case. Since she is still drooling, we do need to tread with care. If there is any chance of her ingesting anything worrisome, I would advise that you do want to consider having her seen by her vet urgently. As well, since this has been ongoing for a worrying period of time with Angiolina, if she doesn't appear nauseous or doesn't respond to the above, then we'd want her local vet to examine her once they are open. They can check all of her but also can do this via an oral exam (which cats in her situation don't tend to be particularly amenable to just letting anyone look). Depending in their findings, the vet will be able to access her in whole, address the root of the problem, and get her settled, eating well,and regaining that lost weight.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Rose,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angiolina. How is everything going?

Dr. B.