Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I think my cat ate a tiny piece of metal. Like about an

Customer Question

Hi. I think my cat ate a tiny piece of metal. Like about an inch long. It is the type of metal that new socks are together when you buy them (not sure how else to explain that) she tends to eat things like that. What can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Was the metal clip closed or opened wide (so the two points are outward)?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

She vomited it few hours later... It was closed so i guess no damage done...ohhh Luna!

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

I am very glad to hear that she brought it up and it was closed. In that case, we can all breathe a sigh of relief here. Though of course, do keep an eye that we don't see any more vomiting and if her stomach is a bit unsettled you can try a soft food diet for the next days or even use a bland option like boiled chicken or meat baby food (garlic/onion free) to soothe this for her.

Best wishes for Luna,

Dr. B.