Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Tip of tail is exposed and bleeding. I just found m in the

Customer Question

tip of tail is exposed and bleeding. I just found him in the bathroom. there was some blood but it appears to have stopped and is now just raw. Cat seems to be resting comfortably and not in pain. Don't know what happened as I can't find anything obvious that caused the injury. Do I need to take him to the vet right away?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: He's in good temperament and does not appear to be in any obvious pain. He licks it from time to time. about an inch and a half of the hair appears ripped off but is otherwise intact.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now if his tail tip has been stripped, we need to tread with care. These injuries tend to arise when cats get their tail tips caught somewhere (ie in a closing door, caught in a fence, etc). If you are seeing any bone, then he needs to be seen urgently for amputation of the tip. If it is just raw, then we need to be careful but sometimes we can help these heal without amputating the end. Of course, we will need his local vet to start cat safe anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. He will likely need the raw end carefully bandaged and it goes without saying, he cannot be allowed to lick this since his saliva is full of bacteria that will cause this tissue serious bother. So, you may need to put an e-collar on him and until you do have him seen you can flush this tail tip wound with mild salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water to help flush away any debris/bacteria and reduce the risk of infection taking root.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )