Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Flea shampoo on kitten yesterday and today diarrea and

Customer Question

Flea shampoo on kitten yesterday and today diarrea and lethergy. active igred. pyrethrins
What to do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just text to this number

No problem, just working on your answer now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear your kitten is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet it sounds to me as if your kitten is showing signs of pyrethrin/permethrin toxicity. These drugs are found in many over the counter flea and tick medications and problems can and do occur. The signs you would expect to see would be lethargy, drooling, trembling, diarrhoea, vomiting and in more severe cases muscle tremors, weakness, and seizures.

But what to do ?

1. You should bathe your kitten where the product was applied with the likes of Dawn, do this twice and rinse your kitten well this should help prevent any further absorption of the toxin.

2. After you have done this all you can do is to monitor your kitten and give the toxin time has to work it's way out your cat's system which it should do in around 48 hours. Just general care and support.

3. However if the symptoms get severe you should contact your vet as supportive care may be needed, such as IV fluids, or medications to control seizures. However given the time scale in your case it is unlikely that things will now get much worse.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your kitten's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your kitten is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the flea shampoo ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kitty got weaker and still had diahrea. Slept until midnight and then started respitory failure and passed at 1:15 Am. She was already weak from other problems and I think this was just too much for her to overcome. We do not have 24hr. Vet care in this area. Closest is 90 miles away. Thanks for your assistance anyway.

So sorry to hear your news ....

Dr Scott