Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

5 1/2 year old neutered male, asthma caused by allergies.

Customer Question

5 1/2 year old neutered male, asthma caused by allergies. One lung partly collapsed. Improvement over 3 days. Nasal congestion. Treated with depo injection and O2 in first stages. At home now being treated with steam and supplemental syringe feeding. Using saline nose drop, one per side. Need to get that congestion moving and coughed up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Haiku
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Haiku?
Customer: Can't think right now. X-ray showed what was thought to be a fluid mass in pleural space, but it was mucous in left lung causing collapse. I was not able to be tapped. It has improved over a couple of days but not fully inflated. Haiku is breathing harder than normal, but not under stress enough to need O2
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry Haiku is so ill.

Can you please tell me what foods he eats?

Have they found a cause for his allergies?

Does anyone smoke in your home?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His allergies might be secondary to herpes virus which has yielded immunodeficiency we believe. He eats Friskies wet food and we are a non smoking home.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

Hold Haiku upside down in a steamy bathroom,where you have run a hot shower.

Tap on his back from the neck to the butt to try and clear his lungs.

Set up a vaporizer with steam in his room.

Give him an antihistamine.

, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We did nebulizer treatments with albuterol, steroid and antibiotics for over three weeks and there was no improvement in the left lung so we had to make the decision to have Haiku euthanized. We are awaiting necropsy results since there was a concern about if this might be cancer. Thanks.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am so very sorry to hear such sad news about Haiku. I know you loved him very much and did everything possible to save him.

My heart is breaking for you and I m typing this through my tears.........

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We got the necropsy report from the vet, the issue was a lung cancer. Since we are a non-smoking home this is a big puzzle to us so it might be metastatic or a rare primary lung tumor. The vet will send a full report.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

That is such sad and devastating news.......