Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 10 week old kitten has thrown up days won't eat are drink

Customer Question

my 10 week old kitten has thrown up for 2 days won't eat are drink water what could be her problem she doesn't even want to play
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Sherry, whatever the cause, a 10 week old kitten who has thrown up for 2 days and isn't replacing her fluid and electrolyte loss through eating and drinking is severely dehydrated and in need of supplemental fluids and electrolytes given by needle by an attending vet at your earliest convenience. My primary concerns are the dangerous leukemia, (FeLV), immunosuppressive (FIV), and distemper (panleukopenia) viruses but her symptoms are consistent with being heavily parasitized and suffering bacterial gastrointestinal infections as well.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I been trying to get her to drink & eat the only thing I know she did was going after a bug could that hurt her

Ingesting a bug can cause transient GI distress. I'm concerned that more is going on, Sherry. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I can't take her any where @ the moment as to I have no way of going is there any way I can try to get her to drink

You can force feed a pediatric fluid replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics) and hope that she doesn't throw it up. An eyedropper placed between her cheek teeth and cheek should facilitate your giving her the fluid. Her total daily fluid requirement is ~an ounce of fluid per pound of body weight. That's difficult to get down a cat but any little bit you can give should be helpful.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I will try anything

Do your best. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I will

I appreciate it. See if you can eyedropper meat flavored baby foods into her as well. Go very slowly. Tiny amounts every half hour, e.g.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok

I hope to hear from you later. No need to reply at this time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
baby girl is drinking on her own & did use the bathroom this morning. she hasn't eating really other then me force her to . she doesn't like the baby food @ all

Try fresh chicken and canned tuna...we have to get her eating. Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have try both we did get some food in her not will to have it but I got her to drink she didn't sneeze some snot this morning

Now she's showing signs of respiratory infection too? Uh oh.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess she seems to perked up from last night but not sure what else to do where I'm @ we don't have a emergency vet being in the country but I'm going to take her in the morning

Make sure she's tested for feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV). It's a 10 minute in-house test that all kittens should have performed on them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I will thank you

Keep me posted, please. No need to reply at this time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just wanted you to know that baby girl has started eating her food & drinking water on her own & playing. she not sneeze anymore are throwing up .

What a good update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Be sure to have her tested as mentioned above, vaccinated and wormed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she been wormed , shots are coming up & yes I'm have her tested waiting on appt thank you very much

Good to hear! You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just wanted you to know that baby girl is doing great she negative on that test found out it was from the liquid flea drops & flea bath combined that got her sick . we had the people who gave her to us watch her for a week & they didn't tell us they did flea treatment & my daughter gave her a flea bath . & they said the sneeze was cause water got in her nose & being so small she couldn't cough it up like a big cat could . thank you for the help

Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no problem you helped me with out charging me a ring & leg on a weekend

It's my pleasure.