Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Found a small soft glob then it moved realized it was a worm

Customer Question

Found a white small soft glob then it moved realized it was a worm going on vacation need to get her medicine is there over the counter vets all closed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Zoey and shes 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?
Customer: she is our garage kitty and sometimes in the house to visit and around our golden retriever will he pick this up from her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you post a picture of the worm? Is Zoey acting completely normal otherwise - eating well, drinking well, no vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry don't know how to post picture but she is acting and eating normal

That is great that she's acting normal otherwise! The most common intestinal parasite that can look like a small glob of white that moves (kind of like a flattened piece of white rice) is a tape worm. These typically are tapeworms obtained from grooming and eating a flea that had the intermediary stage of the parasite. Tapeworms aren't a life threatening situation. They are pretty common. When tape worms are present, a single dose of a praziquantel product dosed by weight will clear the current parasites in the intestinal tract. They have to have flea control to prevent re-infestation.

Here is a good link on tape worms.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=562