Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a cat.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

How can I help with Yiyi?

What seems to be bothering her?

Does she have a cold and a runny eye?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she has a runny eye
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
red/ brown fluid
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello? no, I can't find my phone. I am studying for a Biology class and I have no idea where my phone is.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Terri,
I really love Yiyi, she is a great cat, I am trying to keep her comfortable under my current circumstances. would it be okay if I attempt to clean the area.
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

It sounds like she has an upper respiratory infection or allergies.

Apply a warm,damp teabag to the affected eye several times a day. The tanic acid in the tea will sooth and heal.

Give her an antihistamine:

add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Terri. The only thing I have on the list is the Benadryl. I will give her a very little bit with her food. Thank you. Mary
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Dear *****,

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!

Liquid benedryl can make her drool so it is best to use a pill or add it to food.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. Rating will not close or conversation.

I will still be here for you and Yiyi at no additional charge.