Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

I applied PetActionPlus this morning to my cat and tick

Customer Question

Hello, I applied PetActionPlus this morning to my cat for flea and tick protection, later, I picked him up forgetting about the application and I am uncertain, but I may have somehow gotten a tiny bit into my mouth because my tongue and lips feels slightly different.
what could I do now to limit the negative impact of possibly ingesting a small amount of this stuff? Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you today. Pet Action Plus contains the active ingredient fipronil, and it is usually in an alcohol base. Being a veterinarian, I am exposed to fipronil on a very regular basis, and have even accidentally gotten it on my lips and mouth like you- and it tastes horrible! Luckily the product is very safe. The exception to that is that some individuals (animals and people) may be over sensitive, or even allergic to it. Rinsing your mouth out and lips off with water should limit exposure. However, if you experience any swelling, redness, breathing difficulties, or any other abnormalities, you will need to see a doctor. To be on the safe side, I would give your doctor a call to make sure there aren't any other precautions you should be taking. I hope this has helped. Do you have any other questions for me now?

Are you all set for now?

Hi there- just wanted to check in and make sure everything went OK after your exposure to your cat's flea medication...