Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

He is acting funny, meowing sometimes very loud very

Customer Question

He is acting funny, meowing sometimes very loud very lethargic had a hair ball this morning. He is a maine coon so has a lot of hair. Is meowing sometimes like he is going to throw up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the maine?
Customer: He started acting like those yesterday. He is laying around and just keeps meowing. Really does not want to be touched. Makes a loud scream sometimes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow is very lethargic, vomited this morning, is meowing loudly, and is objecting to being touched.

Please check his litter box and see if there is any evidence of him urinating today.

I am most concerned that he has a urinary tract blockage. A male cat's urethra is quite small in diameter.

If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked.

When that happens urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced causing the cat to vomit and become quite lethargic.

If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias.

He needs immediate veterinary care.

Here is a link if you wish more information about lower urinary tract disease: http://pets.webmd.com/cats/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease

Can you palpate his belly?

In the back part, near his rear legs/spine, is his bladder. If you can feel a balloon shaped structure, can be tangerine sized to softball size that is likely his full bladder. Some cats are so painful they won't even let you touch their belly.

I highly recommend that you have your fellow see a veterinarian right away this evening.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****