Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I have a haired cat who gets clumps in her hair. what can I

Customer Question

I have a long haired cat who gets clumps in her hair. what can I use to calm her when I try to comb them out without getting clawed. I have tried wet combing, big objection!! would covering her eyes help?
On occasion I have been able to cut them out with scissors if I happen to be faster than she is.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

You are not alone. This is a very common problem and if you can get the matts before they get large, it may be easier. Most people will give cats such as Daffy Benadryl at 1 mg per pound which will calm her down and make her drowsy. The liquid childrens Benadryl contains 12.5 mg per teaspoon so give that to her 20 minutes prior to attempting to comb her out. Then wrap her on a towel covering her claws and try using a comb under the matt so you can cut them out without cutting Daffy. This is a commonly used trick ....place the comb between the skin and the matt and you will be able to cut out the matt without hurting Daffy. If this is not useful, your vet will have tranquilizers that they can prescribe for Daffy to get rid of these matts that will eventually cause Daffy problems if left in place.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have always cut them out without cutting her ever. the clump is small, I will try your recommendation ty

EXcellent...good for you. I think this will help and get rid of these clumps of fur for her.