Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

What causes fat cheeks in an otherwise healthy appearing

Customer Question

What causes fat cheeks in an otherwise healthy appearing cat? He has been treated for a possible infection by my Vet. What other treatment options can I try.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If the fat cheeks are symmetrical and there has not been any response to the treatment that your vet has give, the next step is to perform a thorough oral exam which can only be done under anesthesia. I am sure that your vet did check inside Marvin's mouth and did not see anything odd or they would have done more. It seems that Marvin is acting normally and eating well, so this is unlikely an infection or allergic reaction since the medications have covered all of these possibilities. Prior to a recheck by your vet, it may help to apply hot cold compresses to these areas to help decrease the swelling. Do this every 4-6 hrs for 5 minutes and if there is no response, then either this is now Marvin's normal or he has a mass or something causing this swelling..

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.
Hi Cornelia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Marvin. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta