Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I gave my cat the NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid chews,

Customer Question

Hello!
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I gave my cat the NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid chews, and I gave her the suggested amount on the container (2 chews), but she knocked the container over when I wasn't looking and started eating numerous amounts of them. I quickly picked it all up and took it away from her but I am very worried that she overdosed on them. I'm not exactly sure if a cat can really overdose on melatonin but I'm wondering if I should call the emergency vet or if she will be alright and just extra sleepy?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help The. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about The?
Customer: That's it!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Melatonin is very safe, even in large amounts. The most we typically see, is some mild sedation. I wouldn't expect any true toxic side effects.

The carrier product and treat could also lead to some nausea/ vomiting and diarrhea. That is something to be expected if many were ingested. Those signs should resolve on their own over 1-2 days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she won't get extremely sick and it won't affect any of her organs or anything?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Nope, Melatonin is a very safe supplement.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?