Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

He injured s back legs sometime in the last few days

Customer Question

He injured his back legs sometime in the last few days outside.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not sure. He did it outside. He limps. Won't put any weight on it.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tobee pronounces toe-bee. And 1
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tobee?
Customer: I took him to the humane society today and they said that he isn't paralyzed. He can walk he just limps. He is eating and drinking as well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If he's not bearing any weight on a leg, then I would be worried about a fracture. If he's able to bear weight, but he's sore and limping, I think more of a soft tissue injury. If it's both rear legs that are sore and weak, then I start to think about pelvic fractures. If you want to know for sure, you'll need x-rays.

If you want to try resting and some pain meds at home, you can go that route and give him a week or two. As for pain meds that are safe in cats, the only over the counter med safe is Aspirin. You can give 1/2 of an 81 mg baby aspirin every 1-2 days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?