Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My kitten seemed constipated so I gave her a teaspoon of

Customer Question

My kitten seemed constipated so I gave her a teaspoon of castor oil . She did go a little, but is still not eating, drank a couple sips of milk today, but still acting lethargic . Do you think the castor oil hurt her? And she ate some brown bread the other day, could that have made her sick?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if your kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Cocoa
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cocoa?
Customer: She was a stray I found about 4 wks ago, she hasn't had shots yet, I've been in the hospital myself. She's been fine up until the past few days, very healthy and energetic?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cocoa,and that you are having health issues yourself. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is she? What made you think she seemed constipated? Constipation is not very common in kittens.

If you look at her gums do they seem a normal bright pink or do they seem pale?

It is not likely that eating brown bread made her sick. The castor oil may be irritating to her intestines. When she went after the castor oil, was her stool normal, or soft, or hard and dry?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Very dry and very small!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Then she may be constipated, or she may be dehydrated. How long since she ate normally?

I would not give any more castor oil. You can try canned unsweetened pumpkin for a stool softener.

How do her gums look?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Felt she was constipated cause she quit eating and hadn't pooped in two days gums look bright pink
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She ate normally two days ago and she's 2 mnths old.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Not pooping is not a sign of constipation. When a cat or kitten stops eating, they also stop pooping. We need to find the reason they stopped eating to get them having normal bowel movements again. When a cat is constipated, they usually strain and try to defecate.

Good that her gums are so pink. Can you take her temperature with a thermometer? Normal is 101 to 102.

If I could, I would palpate her internal organs and lymph nodes, take her temp. and listen with a stethoscope. If she is not eating, she may have an infection, or fever. If she goes too long without eating, she will become dehydrated which will make her condition even worse.

Where do you live? I don't want to be scary, but years ago, I saw a kitten that was taken in as a stray. She looked completely normal, she just would not eat. She turned out to have rabies! Very rare but since you said she was a stray I thought of that.

Anytime a kitten is not eating, I would have her checked by a veterinarian.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

How is your kitten doing? Was this helpful; can I answer anything else?