Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

My cat, Keary, cries the entire 2 1/5 hour car ride to the

Customer Question

My cat, Keary, cries the entire 2 1/5 hour car ride to the lake. Can I give him gravel to sedate him and if so how much. He weighs 16 pounds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. How old is Keary?
Customer: He is 8 years old and otherwise healthy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Keary?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Keary; I can just imagine how distressing it is for both him and the other occupants of the car when he excessively vocalizes during the car ride ....having experienced this same problem myself on occasion.

Gravol or Dimenhydrinate can be given to cats although I typically suggest it primarily for motion sickness. However, having said that, anti-histamines often have the side effects of sedation or drowsiness so it may be effective in this situation. The dose would be 1/2 of a 50 mg tablet which can be given every 8 hours.

Most cats tolerate this drug fairly well but GI effects (diarrhea, vomiting, anorexia) have been reported.

I hope this helps. Deb