Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My ersian cat has chf and is being given vetmedin.

Customer Question

My ersian cat has chf and is being given vetmedin. Unfortunately, giving the pill to him is so stressful for my husband, my cat, and myself. A minute after shoving the medicine down his throat he throws up the pill. What can we do. My cat is fast deteriorating. He also does not want to eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. He does this almost everytime he is given the pill.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bolero and he is 14 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bolero?
Customer: He has had a heart murmur since he was a kitten. He also has asthma and is very prone to allergies. He has lost a lot of weight for the past 2 months, from 8lbs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry you're dealing with this issue.

This is a big problem in cats- getting the meds into them. I would first check with a local compounding pharmacy to see if they can make it into a liquid for you. They may not be able to, as we don't have a generic Vetmedin (Pimobendan) yet.

If you can't have it compounded, then you could crush it and mix it with something that the cat likes (tuna juice, chicken broth) to get it into him. The key is to get the cat hungry and then get it in without a fight. Vetmedin is flavored and chewable for animals, so it should mix in with a liquid fairly well.

I hope something works. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?