Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

I have a cat who has been at the vet hospital little over a

Customer Question

I have a cat who has been at the vet hospital for a little over a week now. We took her in because she was not eating or drinking and had a fever. The vet's first thought was a bacterial infection of some sort. They gave her fluids and antibiotics for a couple of days, but nothing changed. They tested for FIV and FELUEK and they both came back negative. The vet thought it possibly could be histoplasmosis, so they took a urine sample and sent it off for analysis. Up until today the cat has been bright eyed and still willing to move around, she just won't eat and has to be force fed. She took a drastic downturn this afternoon. I stopped by the clinic and she was extremely labored in her breathing and very lethargic. At this time the vet got the lab results back and they were negative for histoplasmosis. The vet thinks the cat has some kind of auto-immune disorder. They want to start her on a stout dose of steroids and see how that works. I have every bit of confidence in the knowledge and efforts the vets have put forth to this point. My only concern is how long should we give the steroids to work before we start to think about putting the cat down? Seeing her struggling for air tonight and being scared out of her mind was almost enough for me to want to end it. As you can tell I don't want to give up if the possibility for healing her is still there, but I just don't want her to suffer any more than she has to. Thanks for your help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with your sick kitty tonight. Can you tell me a bit old is she? What is her name?