Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My 5 year old male cat is vomiting from time to time...

Customer Question

My 5 year old male cat is vomiting from time to time... sometimes I find his food regurgitated, other times it looks like he's eaten grass? It is a mostly a small amount of clear liquid with the grass & the amount of food is maybe the size of the inside of my palm? He doesn't act sick otherwise and does not have diarrhea... He also appears to have lost a little weight because of it...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Lynette, vomiting is a nonspecific sign of illness which should be investigated if it affects my patients quality of life and/or is causing weight loss as you've mentioned. It's not unreasonable to see how administration of a daily hair ball remedy affects Mister but if you didn't see a positive change within a couple of weeks, it would be prudent to have Mister's vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests (including a specFPL blood test which is most sensitive for detecting the presence of pancreatitis) and if nothing untoward is found in such testing, proceed to ultrasound Mister's gastrointestinal tract - the most sensitive imaging modality when assessing the GI tract. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is most often diagnosed in cats such as Mister. IBD is an idiopathic (unknown cause) inflammation in the GI tract which we usually address with an antiinflammatory gucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone, the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole or both. Scoping and biopsy of the GI tract is required to confirm IBD but a positive response to those drugs may suffice to warrant continuing to prescribe them.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.