Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 17 year old cat has swollen paws around her claws that

Customer Question

My 17 year old cat has swollen paws around her claws that after weeks and weeks of care still won't stay healed. Now she's losing fur everywhere including her paws, her ears have this stuff in them that the other pets do not have. It won't stay gone. She seems to be going blind, she seems to be deaf and I can't even pick her up to clean her without her peeing on herself. I can't afford vet bills like this. I don't know if I should euthanize her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that your cat is having so many problems. My name is Rebecca. I will do my best to help.

Her hair loss, the stuff in her ear and the swelling around her claws could be an autoimmune disease such as pemphigus. Steroids might help her to feel better, and might help this problem.

Going blind and deaf could be old age, diabetes, high blood pressure.

Urinating on herself could be diabetes, kidney disease. Kidney disease can cause high blood pressure and blindness.

So she has a lot of possible problems, and to find out what is wrong and how to treat her might require some testing, and expense. Is she still eating, and drinking? Since you are frustrated for her being like this, and if you can't afford to do any blood tests or treatments, then euthansia might be an option. If she is not eating well, drinking excessively, or losing weight, she could have something that can't be treated, such as cancer, and euthanasia is something to consider. It is a very personal decision; every one feels differently about when to consider it, but if she is this sick, it might be the best thing for both of you.

Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not frustrated at all. I love her like a child. She's family not just an animal. I'm concerned for her. The problem is money. She eats and drinks a lot but yes she is losing a lot of weight. I just don't know what is best for her.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

If she is losing weight but eating and drinking a lot she may have either diabetes, or hyperthyroidism. Both of these can be treated, and she might feel better once treated. However, there is expense with testing for these conditions, and the medication to treat them. If she has high blood pressure from hyperthyroidism or diabetes, then treating her might improve her vision. However, there is no guarantee that you spend some money on tests, that she will get well. She could have kidney disease, which we probably can't make better, or even cancer.

I meant you were frustrated for her, being like this. It is hard to see a beloved older cat get sick, and go deaf and blind. You want to help her, I know.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is she doing? Please let me know if this was helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?