Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat looks like she is wearing a mask. Her nose and around

Customer Question

My cat looks like she is wearing a mask. Her nose and around her eves looks swollen and dark she has red marks on her nose can it be bug bites?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of your cat's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing. A mosquito bite hypersensitivity can cause alopecia and crusts on the bridge of the nose and ear pinnae (flaps) but the changes around her eyes aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of such a hypersensitivity reaction. Symmetrical skin changes on the face often indicate autoimmune skin disease such as the pemphigus complex.