Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our cat is suddenly urinating in strange places, he has also

Customer Question

Our cat is suddenly urinating in strange places, he has also developed a loud meow and we were wondering if the two might be connected. Is there any thing we could give him at home to help a bladder infection?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Connor has developed a loud meow and is urinating in strange places. I do think the two are related. I think he is trying to tell you the best that he can that he is experiencing pain, likely in his lower urinary tract given his inappropriate urinations.

It is quite frustrating to have to clean up when perfectly good litter boxes are available, but if a cat associates pain with the litter box he may choose not to use it hoping he won't be uncomfortable so I do think he is trying to tell you something.

Male cats rarely get primary urinary tract infections. They do however suffer the effects of inflammation due to crystal formation, very concentrated urine, and lack of a proper mucous barrier, and because they have a small urethra that can easily become blocked. These problems are often exacerbated by stress so your husband's illness and the changes going on in your home may be making things worse for him.

We need to be very careful about diet, keeping him hydrated, and in fact trying to get more fluids into him then usual, and possibly using supplements to help.

I recommend feeding your fellow only canned foods, and I would add water to them to make sure that he is getting plenty of fluids. I would stick with Hills Science diet or Royal Canin, as these are brands that I have seen help kitties with lower urinary tract inflammation.

You might also get him a kitty water fountain. Cats tend to drink more from a fresh, moving water source then from stagnant bowls.

Cats that have a faulty mucous layer that protects the bladder wall from urine (which is a mucous membrane irritant) can benefit from glucosaminoglycans (like adequan) because they are postulated to help as they are a building block for this mucous. It isn't something that the drug companies can advertise or label the drug for as they would need to do extended testing and trials and there simply aren't enough cats affected to make this worthwhile for them. This is something we do for these cats as we have some anecdotal evidence (reports from other veterinarians that have tried it) that it works.

Another option for reducing inflammation and improving bladder health is giving omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 8 pound cat could take 160mg of EPA per day.

Likewise we know that by decreasing stress these cats do better and have less episodes in the long run.

More play time and exercise can help relieve stress and improve his health in general.

I also tend to recommend Feliway spray or diffusors too as a stress reliever, especially if we believe that there are other pets in the home or outdoor animals that are causing him stress. This is a synthetic analog of a calming pheromone that cats use to mark things as safe or home.

If all of that is not enough sometimes we need prescription anti-anxiety medication. Amitriptyline is very good at relieving anxiety in some cats so we use it for this purpose as well.

I can tell you I have one patient that did very well for a number of years on amitriptyline, glucosamine/chondroitins and omega 3 fatty acids. The owners reported that she was a new cat on this regimen.

You also need to make sure that the areas that he has picked to go inappropriately have been cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle. Although it may smell fine to you their noses are much better than ours and as long as the odor is there he will be attracted to those spots.

If he is straining but unable to pass any urine, becomes very lethargic, gets a tense painful abdomen or begins vomiting that can signify that his urethra is blocked and that is a life-threatening emergency, so he must be seen by a veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****