Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 10-yr old male neutered tabby pooped on the foyer rug

Customer Question

My 10-yr old male neutered tabby pooped on the foyer rug (favorite place to sleep at night) today. I clean his litter box everyday & had cleaned it very early this morning. He also has easy access to the patio & backyard if he wants to go outside. He is a rescue cat that rescued me 5 yrs ago. He has never ever pooped or sprayed any of the places we have lived. Shortly before I noticed the accident, he was catarwauling & scratching a baseboard in the powder room in another part of the house. He seemed very anxious. Should I be concerned?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. With inappropriate defecation, especially if it is not something they regularly do, there is always a concern that something more serious is going on. Sometimes it is the only way that they tell you something is wrong. It could be something as simple as anxiety due to something else going on around the house or outside, but it may be related to inflammation in the colon (colitis), liver problems, kidney problems, thyroid problems, bladder problems, inflammatory bowel disease, etc. If the stool seemed soft, had mucus on it or has any blood; he most likely has colitis. It could be something he ate. The increased vocalization may be due to some in the colon or pain elsewhere, but you can see that with anxiety issues as well. As long as he is eating, drinking and not hiding; it should be safe to monitor him for a little while longer to see if it happens again, but with the current symptoms, my recommendation would be to just get her seen by your vet today. They will most likely want to run some blood work, a urinalysis and a fecal exam. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.