Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My four year old cat keeps biting me. She bit me severely

Customer Question

My four year old cat keeps biting me. She bit me severely yesterday. Can her sharp teeth be ground down or pulled? If this cannot be done I am afraid I will have to have her put down. HELP
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry Macy is biting you so badly. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

You can have her teeth ground shorter and not as sharp. Pulling all her teeth is a possibility and toothless cats can eat and do just fine, but it is major surgery to pull teeth with long healthy roots, and would take a couple of hours and be costly.

Even with no teeth, she will still attack and bite (although her bites can't hurt you). There are ways to train biting cats and you might consider consulting and working with a veterinarian who specializes in behavior. Such an expert would take a very long history that you will fill out first (how old she is, when the problem started, is she an only cat, have you ever had other cats, does she go outside, etc.; these usually take an hour or more to fill out). Then he or she would come to your home to observe her.

With a biting cat, it first has to be determined if this is true aggression (rare in cats), misdirected prey drive, displacement activity (sees cats outside she wants to interact or fight with, or cats that come into "her" territory she wants to drive away and since she can't she turns on you). The treatment would depend on which of these is causing her to bite.

Behavior problems are complicated and rarely can they be fixed quickly and easily. If you can find a veterinarian who will start by grinding her teeth, you could try that. If she is still hurting you, then removing the teeth or rehoming her might be best.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote; I have not heard back from you! Please let me know what other questions you have, and if this was helpful!