Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

She is 11yrs old and she was fine when I fed her before bed

Customer Question

She is 11yrs old and she was fine when I fed her before bed last night. This morning she had thrown up a good bit and I went to get carpet cleaner out of the hall closet and noticed a brown spot in the floor. I thought it was more vomit and it may have been but it smelled foul like almost a feces smell. She was just laying in the floor balled up sleeping. She let me pet her but she wouldn't get up to eat this morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she looks pretty bad right now if she's not wanting to get up even after stimulating her. In an older cat with acute vomiting, lethargy and weakness, I would be concerned about metabolic disease. It could be kidney disease, liver disease, pancreatitis or diabetes. These are all common in middle aged to older cats with acute GI signs.

The first step is an exam and baseline bloodwork. The bloodwork will likely point to the organ system involved. From there, she'll likely need to be hospitalized on IV fluids to rehydrate her and then start more specific therapy depending on what is found.

If you can't get in right away, you can try to give an over the counter med to settle her stomach. There are two options- Pepcid (Famotidine) 5 mg orally or Meclizine (Antivert) 12.5 mg orally. I would also try to get some water or Pedialyte into her to help with her hydration.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she hasn't thrown up anymore, but she's just resting - breathing normally. Should I still give her stomach meds? She's not one that is a regular vet patient. She had an allergic reaction to a vaccine and the vet told me on a personal level not to vaccinate her again - she almost died. She never goes outside. Taking her to the vet is going to severely agitate her. I may need to call in a mobile vet if I can't get her in the carrier. I've researched online and they aren't quick responders. My teenager is home with her and I am going to see if he'll take water over to her to see if she will drink it, but I'm going to have him put her food away.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I would still try the stomach meds to see if it helps prevent any further vomiting.

If you need to try those at home and see if she starts eating/ drinking, that is ok. If this lethargy goes on for more than 12-24 hours, I really would try to get her seen by someone. I know it's not easy when they're terrified of car rides and the carrier. That's a way to see how sick she really is as well. If she lets you put her in a carrier easily, then you know she's not doing well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I hope I can find the liquid. I am going to call the regular vet for my other cat and see if I can bring her in to their office. It's where she went for the first few years, but that vet is no longer operating that practice - she sold to the new vet. I will also go home at lunch to check on her myself. I do appreciate your time. I know she really needs some blood work completed to give us an idea of what is going on with her on a general level anyway. This is a cat that eats well - she never misses a meal - and she still loves to fetch, will bring the toy to you crying to play and can still run up and down a flight of stairs to retrieve said toy. This came on overnight.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

She sounds like a cool cat. I hope the meds get her stomach settled down and she's taking to some food by this afternoon. If she seems to keep declining though, then I would do all you can to get some bloodwork run before they close this evening.