Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is 2years old and is attacking me. this mornig whrn i

Customer Question

my cat is 2years old and is attacking me. For axample this mornig whrn i was lying down she came to bad and did her danc than i pat her .She gat down from the bed and start to try to go to my closet.She coldint so then she lyd down on the floor ,when i start talking to her i sow that she is ready to attak and she did ,But she bite my elbo when i try to proteckt my sef
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: then she com back and bitmy hand and uper leg
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: i don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your cat is biting you. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Behavior problems can be complex and there is rarely a simple quick answer or solution. More information will be helpful:

Is she spayed?

Does she got outside?

Is she an only cat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is the only one, and she gose out on small deck in my condo.But I took her in from other peopel about 6 months ago.She was a pat for a boy whom went to college .Mother did not like cat.So I can tell when the man visit my hous she is very friendly.Other wise she dosent com to me on couch, if she wanto be pet she lys down on the middle of the floor and then I can come and pet her.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Cats bite and attack their owners for many reasons, and it can be hard to figure out the reason and correct it. Here are some things you can try:

Some cats bite because they are basically bored. Cats are by nature predators that hunt, capture, and kill birds and rodents. If they don't have an outlet for their need to hunt, they can be aggressive to their owners or other animals in the house. There is a concept called "environment enrichment", where you make an indoor space interesting, and stimulating to their natural instinct to hunt. This website will tell you about environment enrichment and how to do it:

https://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats

Working with a veterinarian who can make a house call and observe her may be helpful.

If you learn the triggers that stimulate her to attack you, you can try to train her to stop. When you know she is going to attack, have some treats or catnip handy to throw near her to try to redirect her. If she learns that getting ready to attack, but not actually attacking, gets her a reward, she may learn not to attack. This is not easy to do, and working with a specialist to show you how to train her might be best.

Behavior problems are tough, and rarely have a quick easy answer. Let me know what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When she dose Samting wrongly she avoids me.Basically I feed her and play a little bit with her .She also revers on scratching my couch and window screen even do she has 3 tips things to scrtcg scratching
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am not sure what you mean by 3 tips things, or that she revers on scratching the couch. Probably autocorrect!

One thing the behavior specialists do recommend is called environment enrichment, which is making an indoor area stimulating for a cat that has a strong prey drive so the have an outlet for their natural instincts to hunt and kill. This website describes environment enrichment:

https://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if this was helpful, and if I can answer any more of your questions. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?