Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

MY 13 YEAR OLD CAT HAS DEVELOPED CHRONIC DIARRHEA. SECOND

Customer Question

MY 13 YEAR OLD CAT HAS DEVELOPED CHRONIC DIARRHEA. THIS IS MY SECOND QUESTION TO YOU.THE VET THAT I TOOK HER TO LAST WEEK PUT HER ON METRONIDAZOLE 0.45MLBY MOUTH EVERY 12 HOURS. ALSO INCLUDEDWAS PURINA PRO PLAN VETERINARY DIETS "FORTIFLORA". NOTHING HAS HELPED. MY HUSBAND IS PUSHING TO PUT HER DOWN. I CAN'T DO THAT. I CAN'T FIND THE POST FROM YESTERDAY. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP! DO THE MAKE IMMODIUM FOR CATS? I AM DESPERATE. CAN YOU HELP? THANK YOU, ***** *****
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if your vet has only tested for Giardia and not done a full stool analysis (looking for viral, bacterial and other parasitic causes) and just started her on treatment, then it would be advisable to have them do that. You can even take in a sample for them to send to their local vet lab without having Bella back in. If that is clear, then you may need to consider speaking to them about IBD or gut lymphoma as a cause for her signs.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, while Imodium is dangerous for cats, we do have some options. Our most common cat safe anti-diarrheal is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies but you can ring her vet about dispensing this (as we otherwise need to take care to avoid any Kaolin with aspirin or Salicylic acid). Otherwise, there are pet specific OTC kaolin/probiotic combination products that may suit Bella better. Examples of this are Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used to try to help reduce her diarrhea and get this settled for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )