Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We adopted 2 Little over a year ago at the beginning we

Customer Question

Hi ,we adopted 2 Little over a year ago at the beginning we would give them Nulo Food from the cans ,almost after 7 months we change their food due to the cost between food , Treats and liter sand was over 450 dollars a month . So doing some research on line we found that we can mix chicken breast ,chic***** *****ver ,about 20% of steam rice ,cook everything then throw it in the blender and add some vitamins for cats ,They love it ,and until about 3 months ago we noticed they were eating and almost immediately they would vomit but then they will eat again ,then we decided to change to beef and then fish but they would eat the first plate then vomit and then they would Not eat anything , we try for a few days to go back to the Nulo can food , useless, they would not even touch it ,we also noticed that they lost some way ,not a lot because we always try to give them something that they would eat so for a few weeks they stay with dry food only, what can we do ?? Honestly we cannot afford to go to a Vet and spend 400 or 500 dollars just in one vet visit ,and I'm not exaggerating once one of them got sick and we spent 350 dollars in one cat in just one visit ,here in the San Francisco ,CA area things related with animals can fetch thousands of dollars ,a friend of my family spent almost 6,000 dollars in a surgery for his dog.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Are they eating anything at all at this point? Keeping anything down if they do?

Are they drinking normally?

Are their gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on each cats' belly, ny discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could they have eaten something they should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plant chemicals, etc)? Chewing any plants?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

They are eating dry food ,they drink plenty of water , no discover on their bellies when I put some pressure ,when they eat some of the flowers we buy for the living room they vomit a few minutes later ,so due to that we don't get more flowers at all ,the thing is king of tricky for us because they react different to the food while one vomits with the fish the other vomit with the chicken ,the possibility of a bone is CERO cause we boiled skinless/boneless chicken breast , then we blended in a restaurant quality heavy duty blender,when we do the fish we use bonito ( a dark meat fish ) and we are very carefull to take all the bones out and same thing as the chicken ,we blended ,I read and article a few weeks ago that cats become allergic or kind of addicted to poultry and fish , today we gave them dry food and some of the fish ,rice ,vitamins mixture we made only one of them vomited ,we are really running out of options since they don't even want to go back to the can food ,about your question of their gums the 2 of them have their gums pink and moist.,now when they vomit they don't vomit all of the food just part of it.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I do have to warn you that you do need to monitor what plants/flowers you are letting them chew. Many are cat toxic or at the least can cause nausea and gut upset. So, if they are sneaky and get to them before you can put them out of reach, then you are right to avoid flowers in the house. As well, if you do go back to feeding a homemade diet, do be careful with what you feed. Fish based diets can cause Vitamin B deficiency, so need to be mixed with other protein sources or increased Vitamin B may need to be given. As well, you need to limit how often you feed liver. It is very Vitamin A rich and can actually cause health issues itself (which they’d be even more at risk if there was Vitamin A in the vitamin supplement as well). So, liver is more a treat then something to feed daily. And if there is any chance of bone shards with rough edges being eaten, you may need to address that as it would be considered a gut irritant.

That aside, if we are seeing vomiting in both cats as you trial different diets (which I am getting the impression that these are not gradual changes over time), then I’d be most suspicious of this not actually being diet related. We can see two cats have gut sensitivity and low grade vomiting with low-grade gut infections (bacterial or viral) as well as secondary to worms. So, in this case, I would suggest making sure you are ruling out those before making major diet changes.

To start, you will want to worm them and I would suggest using Fenbendazole (which your vet can dispense if they have a recent weight for the cats) as it is a good quality wormer and will tackle some protozoal agents too. As well, to ensure their gut microflora is at optimal, you can also consider using cat specific OTC probiotics (ie Fortiflora) to try to stabilize their guts.

Finally, I would suggest sticking to one diet (perhaps the one they collectively vomit least on) and treating both with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. And we could use that for a week to see if we can get them more settled. Of course, if their signs persist, then infectious agents causing a mild gastroenteritis would again be a concern and we may need to have them seen. If that is the case, you could consider a trek outside SF as costs of care do decrease outside of the city.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Wilfredo Molina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about 2 (We Adopted 2 Brothers). How is everything going?
Dr. B.