Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital

My 13 year old baby has puffy sides! not hard but soft she

Customer Question

My 13 year old baby has puffy sides! not hard but soft she eats and drinks but is tried and lays in one spot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Cairo, She can't take rabies shots she too old and inside . she autoamume I spelled it wrong . Vets are mean in not wanting to treat her over this! She is not getting that shot she would die!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cairo?
Customer: That is pretty much it! One of her gum by one her back teeth is all red that may be from her autoimmune she will get sores all different places!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help you and Cairo. I'd like to ask a few additional questions.

1. You mention auto-immune disease. When was this diagnosed, what system was involved and what has been used to treat it?

2. When you say she gets sores all over places, do you mean the mouth or over her body?

3. Puffy sides- do you mean her belly is bloated? Can you explain further?

4. Any vomiting or diarrhea noted?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she does throw up sometimes . her sides are soft like a water balloon ! I was told this 7 years ago she got sores on her paws I paid a 1,000 to have it taken off and it has not come back on any paws. but she gets crusty sores and then they go away. I give her grain free food and if she gets stressed it will flare up!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She loves it when I hold her then she eats more she needs me a lot. or she gets upsets. she will stare off in space with is weird .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When she just stares which I feel is strange!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They were 7 years ago giving her shots for autoimmune and we had to stop she would throw up so bad it was awful from them and it could have damaged her liver.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still here?

Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done at home to treat this. She really needs an exam to allow a vet to palpate her sides, as she could have swelling/fluid under her skin, have some internal organs that are enlarged, this could be fatty masses. Depending on what is found, it may be recommended to do some base line blood work to assess her current auto-immune status and see why she is vomiting (liver, kidney dz, pancreatitis)

Typically if you explain to the veterinary clinic that she was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease and it was recommend that she no longer receive her vaccines, they are less likely to push the Rabies Shot.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply and I will happily answer additional questions. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I that 28 plus what I just paid?

I'm sorry, I do not understand your question. Can you edit and resend?