Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Hes 15. Was a 27 lb cat. Now weighs 7lbs. took m to 2 vets.

Customer Question

hes 15 . Was a 27 lb cat. Now weighs 7lbs. took him to 2 vets. Did blood work up and thyroid and all tests are fine. What else could it be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Hes eating fine , grooming himself. Throws up if eats too much. Seems hungry alot. Just very frail
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No hes an indoor cat
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mick
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does he have diarrhea?

Did your vet run any other tests besides blood work and thyroid? X-rays? Ultrasound?

In what time frame did he lose this weight?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No diarrhea
No x-rays or ultrasounds( what would this determine?)
Since September
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. With that amount of weight loss and normal blood work, I would start looking for cancer. Sometimes you see changes on blood work. Sometimes you don't. An inflammatory bowel disease issue in the stomach is possible as well. I would highly recommend pursuing an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the internal structure of all the organs and look for any masses. Sometimes and x-ray can help with that as well, but it is not as sensitive nor specific of a test as an ultrasound is for evaluating the abdomen. I would get an x-ray of the chest, though, because you can sometimes see masses forming there if there is cancer that has already spread. You cannot see the lungs well on an ultrasound. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He threw up alot yesterday. Looked like mostly liquid, bile?? And had diarhea.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

I would still be very concerned about gastrointestinal lymphoma or some other type of cancer and a potential inflammatory bowel disease. The x-rays and/or ultrasound of the abdomen would definitely be the recommended course of action at this point. Let me know if you have further concerns.