Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our cat started sneezing off and on since yesterday... her

Customer Question

Our cat started sneezing off and on since yesterday... her left eye is smaller than the right, a little watery, but not much...I see her licking her nose/mouth at times...she's sleeping a lot...
We just moved from Florida to Maryland...bringing her by car in a little carrier...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Simi isn't feeling well - I will do my best to help.

There will be a delay of a few moments while I type up my thoughts for you.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.

The most common cause of a mild watery eye and a sneeze with clear discharge in a kitty would be a viral infection like feline herpesvirus. Most kitties are infected with the feline herpesvirus when they are very young, as it’s found commonly throughout the environment and other kitties can intermittently shed the virus. During an active flare up, the virus causes watery eyes, sneezing, congestion, and sometimes fever and lethargy. Sometimes cats can develop a secondary bacterial infection which can lead to worsening of the symptoms including a higher fever, green or yellow nasal or eye discharge and sometimes pneumonia. Most kitties with a competent immune system will be able to handle a herpesvirus flare up easily, putting the virus into latency. The virus “hides” in the facial nerves and can come back out during times of stress or at other times when the immune system is compromised.

In your case, the recent travel could have set Simi up for this little viral flare up.

There are other viral upper respiratory diseases that can cause similar signs. One of the others - calicivirus - can also cause ulcerations inside the mouth or on the nose. Signs that indicate the need for emergency treatment would include a rectal temperature above 103, greater than 24 hours of not eating or drinking, or any labored breathing.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.
~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi Caren,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Simi. How is everything going?
Doc Sara