Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

On Thursday my male cat began shaking s head all the time

Customer Question

On Thursday my male cat began shaking his head all the time with tiny little sneezes. He is still shaking his head and sneezing but his breathing sounds raspy. He is sleeping all the time, only a little interest in food. Is it a cold? Can it be treated or will he work through it on his own?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with Rexx today. I'm sorry to hear he is not feeling well. Has Rexx had any nasal discharge that you have seen? Is he an inddor only cat or does he spend time outdoors?

The most common cause for sneezing we see in cats is an upper respiratory infection. Like colds in people, these are usually caused by viruses, and less commonly bacteria. Most kitties with URIs are able to clear the infection on their own without treatment, and the symptoms usually subside within a couple weeks. However, if there is a loss of appetite and lethargy, we recommend a physical examination so that the body temperature can be checked, and lung sounds can be evaluated. Some of these cats need a little extra help, and respond well to fluids and antibiotics. Also, since Rexx has been shaking his head a lot, his ear canals should be examined with an otoscope to make sure he hasn't developed an ear infection, or polyp.

My recommendation is to get him checked out tomorrow by his veterinarian. In the meantime, some measures you can take are:

1. Keep him in steamy bathroom with you while showering- this will help break up mucus and ease his congestion

2. Clean away any crusted mucus from his nose with paper towel moistened with water

3. Offer his favorite canned foods- warmed slightly in the microwave- that way the aroma will be brough out and tempt him to eat

4. Keep him inside only until he is back to normal

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Hi, just wanted to check in and see how Rexx is doing, and whether you needed any more of my help?

Hi Andrea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rexx. How is everything going?

Rebekah Kane