Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I have a 2 or 3 year old cat with a bobtail. She eats and

Customer Question

I have a 2 or 3 year old cat with a bobtail . She eats and drinks very well but, she is throwing up alot! As much as 4 or 5 times a day! She is a indoor cat.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this Shara. It's not unreasonable to treat for hairballs daily with an over the counter remedy but if you didn't see a positive response the two main differential diagnoses of importance are inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) - an idiopathic (unknown cause) inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract - and food intolerance and one doesn't preclude the other. Her vet will want to perform a through physical exam including diagnotics in the form of blood and urine tests and ultrasound of your cat's abdomen. The blood tests should include a specFPL which is most sensitive for detecting the presence of pancreatitis and the ultrasound is most specific when evaluating the gastrointestinal tract itself. We're looking for a foreign body and inflammation indicative of both IBD and neoplasia such as small cell lymphoma.

Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that her immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Shara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?