How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Joey Your Own Question
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4690
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Joey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Its been 3 days of no appetite yesterday he started drinking

Customer Question

its been 3 days of no appetite yesterday he started drinking water which is a little rare for him i know that animals drink a lot of water when they've ingested poison
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the cat ate?
Customer: that's just it theres no way hes poisoned we feed him th same as our other cat and he stays in th house no outside
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: sleeping a lot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am sorry to hear your cat is experiencing this and on a holiday weekend. Unfortunately, his symptoms are vague and do not point to one particular problem. You ask about toxicity and it is possible but unlikely because toxicities that would lead only to not eating and increased water intake would lead to rapid decline within a day or two such as antifreeze toxicity or eating a certain plant. So, I doubt this is toxicity but if you are worried or have a high suspicion for toxicity then this is a medical emergency and he needs to be examined today.

Instead his symptoms make me worry about other issues such as he may have an infection (such as developing abscess) with fever, organ issue (liver, kidney), urinary tract infection (kidney, bladder), foreign object ingestion, and the list continues.

At this point after 3 days of not improving (perhaps worsening) he is going to need to be seen by a veterinarian. If you feel he is "worse" today than yesterday then taking him to be seen on emergency is your best option. If you are suspicious of toxicity (you know there was something put outside maliciously or something he got into) then have him seen today. Otherwise, there is no miracle home remedy for these vague signs other than continuing to offer him a buffet of his favorite foods to tempt him and keeping the water fresh and close.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Related Cat Veterinary Questions