Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My 12 y/o cat has been sneezing days. All day today she has

Customer Question

my 12 y/o cat has been sneezing for several days. All day today she has vomiting 5/6 times. If she eats or drinks water, she vomits everything up. For tonight, what can I give her to help the vomiting slow down or stop? I will take her to our Vet. in AM
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Miss Kitty!

It sounds like she may be being bombarded by a few different issues. In regards ***** ***** signs at the moment, you can try to soothe her stomach but if she cannot even keep water down you may just need to withhold food and offer sips of water for the next few hours. If she settles a bit, then you can try treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if she cannot keep that down then it is a red flag that we'd need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Though once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, , scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Otherwise, for her flu signs do consider starting supportive care for that too. If she is sneezing and congested you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often cats don't like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make little ‘steam tents' with the kitty in their carrier and the nebulizer under a thin bed sheet.

If she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist, etc) to clear her nasal passages. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. And hopefully we can just keep her comfortable until her vet is open.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Lorraine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Miss Kitty. How is everything going?
Dr. B.