Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She didn't eat days and she is now eating (since Friday

Customer Question

She didn't eat for 2 days and she is now eating (since Friday night, thank goodness), but she hasn't pooped since
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Helena
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Helena?
Customer: She's 6.5 yrs old, has feline leukemia & stomatitis. Had teeth extracted in March. She's on a daily steroid and appetite stimulant...and as of Friday, a pain med 2x a day
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Glad to hear Helena is now eating OK which is the main thing but lets see if we can get her pooping normally as well ...

1. If you are in fact dealing with constipation some owners try oral remedies such mineral oil { liquid paraffin }, this is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your cat's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate would be around 1 ml orally twice a day, a small syringe which you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be useful to administer it with. You can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil until you can source the mineral oil.

2. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the cat, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding or some other minor factor, it will often respond to the above common sense sort of treatment. { This is the most common form of constipation in the cat }

3. But cats can sometimes appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or diseases causing stasis of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having your vet check your cat over as further tests may be needed to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your cat appears constipated and of course your vet will have access to prescription drugs if these prove necessary.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Helena is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her constipation ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.