Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Kitten 12 weeks old will smell food, step back and paw at

Customer Question

kitten 12 weeks old will smell food, step back and paw at floor as to ccover litter. Very gingerly will lap water but only 3 or 4 laps and not too often. Is losing weight but still plays alittle. Will spit up yellow foaming material after the smell or small lick of food or water Have changed cat food from 9-lives as given to us when we adopted kitty and now am trying fancy feast for kittens. Kitty did eat 9-lives and did east fancy feast too so that should not make a difference. Have another kitty same age who is just fine. Am afraid kitty will die of malnutrition.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Coyote. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Coyote's symptoms are definitely a big concern, as it doesn't sound like she wants to eat at all. As you say, if this behavior continues, she will very quickly lose a lot of muscle mass and body condition, and as she needs important nutrients for growth right now (protein, energy and calcium/phosphorus in particular), she could even develop bone growth issues unless we can get her eating as per normal. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your girl, and while this could purely just be behavioral in nature, we certainly have to consider whether your girl has an infectious gastroenteritis, or even a congenital issue where she can't keep food down.

It sounds like she is drinking water without an issue which is great. You could certainly get some nutrients in to your girl by making up a fresh chicken broth for her. This isn't balanced for growth, but is better than nothing at the moment. Stay clear of products with cow's milk (including milk, cheese, yoghurt etc) as cats are generally lactose intolerant meaning this could contribute to her upset stomach. As far as a kitten food goes, I would recommend heading back to your local pet store and grabbing 2 - 3 different kitten products of different protein sources and textures. Kittens like Coyote can very quickly develop texture preferences, and that could potentially be part of the issue here. Stick with wet (canned or pouch) products for now and there are a numbef of textures and proteins available. Get one jellimeat, one 'chunks in gravy', one 'stew' and one 'chunks in jelly' if you can find each of these in kitten formulas. The proteins could vary between fish, chicken, pork or beef - I'm sure you will find a range of these.

When you get these home, you can do a little trial with these products. Put a small amount of each on to a small plate and warm them through for 3 - 4 seconds in the microwave so they are luke warm and have more of an aroma coming off them. Offering these to your girl all at once will hopefully help her (and you) if she does have smell and texture preferences when it comes to food.

If she wont' go near any of these, then definitely get your girl along to your local vet clinic for a full physical exam. If she hasn't eaten much over the last few days, I would recommend you get this done with your local after hours vet this long weekend. Here they can even potentially keep her in the clinic for a few days with a feeding tube to make sure she isn't becoming malnourished, while they undertake diagnostics to work out if there is an underlying issue here.

All the best with Coyote, and do try and do this feeding trial this weekend if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.