Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat was prescribed famciclovircap 15 mg. Could I use

Customer Question

My cat was prescribed famciclovircap 15 mg. Could I use clavamox instead and what dosage?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, these drugs are not interchangeable. Famciclovir is an antiviral drug that helps reduce viral infections and shedding. In contrast, Clavamox is an antibiotic we use against bacterial infection. So, they do not work against the same types of infections and therefore Clavamox would be a poor option to switch to since it won't help against a viral infection as your cat's vet intended.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there liquid option?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

It is possible to get a powder, gel or liquid form if you have your local vet write a prescription for a compounding pharmacy (example). And if it is a struggle to get your wee one's medication in, then this would be highly advisable since viral agents often flare up with stress. So, low stress administration options are always best in these cases.

All the best,

Dr. B.