Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Can I give my cat injectable norocillin infected place on

Customer Question

can I give my cat injectable norocillin for a infected place on her head? If so how much and subq or intermuscular?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kallie around 6yrs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kallie?
Customer: No she is healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Norocillin (procaine penicillin G) might be helpful at a dose of 10,000 units/lb once daily either subQ or intramuscularly for 5 days. Please note that if a significant amount of pus is associated with this infection such as might be the case with a bite wound, the penicilin won't be able to penetrate into the area. The pus needs to be irrigated away and devitalized tissue surgically excised. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.