Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My 12-year-old cat has not been eating couple of days. She

Customer Question

My 12-year-old cat has not been eating for a couple of days. She will drink liquid from moist food throughout the day. She has also had dark matter around her nose and mouth. Now today she is drooling so much that her chest is wet. I thought she was improving since she was eating some broken up liquid or soft food but now I'm not sure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Faith
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Faith?
Customer: She has a history of allergies, such as ear mites. Her skin gets dandruff. I brush her. I thought she may have ear mites so I have been putting mineral oil in each ear along with a hydrocortisone spray.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Faith. Her ptyalism (drooling) is an important clue for both oral pain and gastrointestinal distress. Oral pain can arise from ulceration and stomatitis (general inflammation in the mouth), dental disease, and oral neoplasia (cancer - particularly in a 12 year old). Gastrointestinal distress can also manifest as cramping, nausea, and acid reflux. The "dark matter" isn't clear to me. Most important, however, is that inappetence of just two days at her age will leave her dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced. It would be prudent to have her attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience if only to have supplemental fluids administered by needle. It's a positive prognostic sign that she'll eat at all. I would be more comfortable knowing that she would have a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests performed. An abdominal ultrasound would be indicated if such tests revealed nothing untoward.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.