Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

He threw up a hair ball around 6:30 am and now has been

Customer Question

He threw up a hair ball around 6:30 am and now has been walking around meowing and sitting in a crouching position. He seems unable to get comfortable. He won't let me near him to check his abdomen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: He's male about 2-3 years old. He's an indoor cat. He was fine yesterday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well. What you describe is called "The meat loaf" position. It indicates the cat is in pain.

I am not that concerned about the hair ball or one episode of vomiting. However, I am worried about his ability to urinate. Pancreatitis is also possible. If, God forbid, he is unable to urinate that is a medical EMERGENCY where he would need immediate vet care. Pancreatitis, less serious also needs to be seen by a vet.

IF he IS able to urinate and is just nauseated, he can be treated at home.

Give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry, but after I paid I was "in the waiting room" I waited for half an hour but couldn't stand it anymore and got ready and took him to the vet. When I got home, I was still in the waiting room. Long story short, he was constipated. Don't know why he was howling so much, it wasn't even bad enough for an enema.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But everything else was fine
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am so sorry you had to wait but glad to hear your boy is OK.

If he ever gets constipated again, give him one to two ounces of whole milk. It is a natural laxative that will bring on a bowel movement within two hours.

If he eats mostly dry food, switch to canned. It contains 60% water an keeps fluid in the colon.

Here are more options:

A half tsp of olive, fish or mineral oil. If you put some on her foot she may lick it off.

A tsp of canned pumpkin (not pie filling).

milk of magnesia or metimucil DOSAGE HERE:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5113261_human-medications-can-give-cat.html

An infant glycerin (only) suppository

I hope he is feeling much better and continues to do well.

If you need anything, just reply and I will be here for you.

Best wishes,

Terri