Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

My rescue cat was pregnant when she showed up, she went in

Customer Question

my rescue cat was pregnant when she showed up, she went in labor yesterday and had one kitten, tonight she still looks pregnant and has had no more kittens what should I do.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, It would be prudent to take Bailey to an emergency clinic where Xrays will let you know for sure one way or the other if there are any remaining kittens. It would be quite rare for a cat to only have one kitten, but that would be best case scenario. Usually, there is less than 2 hours between kittens once cats go into labor. If there are any kittens left inside her at this point, it would be very likely that they would no longer be viable and she should then be spayed ASAP before they cause her to develop a life-threatening infection. Hope that helps, and good luck! - Dr. C

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how long before her life is in danger? I don't have the money for an emergency visit.

How is she currently acting? Eating, drinking, nursing her kitten, interactive? Have you seen her trying to produce another kitten since the first one was delivered?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
earlier she was, well it looked like that to me. she ate a little food about 4 hours ago and left her bed for a little bit. Now however she looks like she is weaker.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just checked on her, it looks like one is about 1/4 the way out I tried to pull it out but it was giving her some discomfort. should I continue to get it out?

I would normally recommend that a veterinarian do that, because it is a very delicate matter and you could tear the kitten as well as her vulva. But if you are not going to be able to afford veterinary care for her tonight, I guess your only option is to scruff her with one hand and use firm, gentle pressure to extract the kitten. Try to scruff the kitten as well- it is less likely that you will rip it apart that way. Good luck- Dr. C

And to answer your previous question about when her life is in danger, it is unfortunately now. If she have one stuck and she is acting lethargic and is in pain, surgery is going to be her best chance at a positive outcome. Many emergency clinics accept care credit, if that is something you can apply for on-line and may make the care that she needs more affordable for you.