Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have an 11yr old male cat that has diabetes and has been

Customer Question

I have an 11yr old male cat that has diabetes and has been vomiting off and on since 6:00 pm He had insulin at 5:30 and ate a small amount of dry food. Because we have 2 other cats I cant tell if he is urinating more or less than normal. He was diagnosed 4 mos ago and this is the first problem hes had. Do I need to take him to an e-vet or is it safe to wait until tomorrow to see if he improves Thank you....Mary Beth
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How often has he vomited?

Does he seem lethargic or weak?

Any difficulty breathing?

What color are his gums?

If you press into his abdomen from both sides, is he painful or uncomfortable?

Did he get his full dose of insulin this evening?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's never been an energetic cat even as a kitten... His breathing is normal but his gums are pale... he doesnt seem to be in any pain... He got his normal dose ( 4 units ) this evening but what little food he did eat he vomited along with water
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the information. The pale gums do concern me. I would recommend getting him evaluated by the emergency vet tonight. It could be that he has low blood sugar from getting insulin without eating much and vomiting it back up. I would want to rule out anemia and other types of shock as well. The pale gums are concerning enough to get him to the vet to get some lab work ran and correct any situation that may be occurring immediately. With diabetics, you can never be too careful. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.