Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

You are working on a Saturday night? I think its

Customer Question

You are working on a Saturday night?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: I think its inflammatory bowel disease. From what I'm seeing online, that seems to be the case with my cat. Smelly runny diarrhea, vomiting.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No its been happening for months and I'm only now starting to process that something could be wrong. His disposition is otherwise okay
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: He's about 4. Leo
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Leo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?
Customer: While he isn't gaining weight, he's not rail thin. I just thought he would be bigger at this age
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) would certainly be high on my list of possible causes, but there could still be other issues going on. He may have an intestinal parasite, especially if he spends any time outside. He could also have an issue with his liver or pancreas. Liver and pancreatic problems can actually occur simultaneously with IBD. It is called Triad disease. Other potential causes include small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), an intestinal infection (different from SIBO), a gastrointestinal motility disorder, dietary sensitivity, dietary allergy, intestinal lymphoma (less likely with his age) and hyperthyroidism (unlikely with his age). The problem with diagnosing IBD is that it requires a biopsy of the intestinal tract to definitely diagnose, although many cats respond well to medication trials, and a presumptive diagnosis is made on response. First and foremost, your vet needs to run a fecal exam and a routine blood panel (serum chemistries, complete blood cell count and electrolytes). I would also run an FPL to rule out chronic pancreatitis. I would really recommend running a gastrointestinal panel that checks for pancreatic insufficiency and serum cobalamin/folate levels (help diagnose SIBO and see if he needs cobalamin supplementation, which many cats with IBD do need). A fecal culture would be a good idea as well. Empirical treatment with metronidazole, a round of Panacur, prednisolone (as long as routine blood work is normal) and a hypoallergenic diet (+/- cobalamin injections) may be done, especially if an intestinal biopsy is not pursued. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.