Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

Hes 18, being treated by vet but they dont know whats wrong

Customer Question

Hes 18, being treated by vet but they dont know whats wrong They think his kidneys are shutting down and maybe cancer. He is now in pain , miserable and I have a lot of oral Buprenorphine. please help me to let him die now at home. Doctors are out of office and I will not put him through that long car drive to the E.R.. Please tell me how much to give at a time
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Dusty, 18 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dusty?
Customer: He is miserable and in pain
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that you have concerns about Dusty's kidneys. I am here to help answer your questions/concerns. I understand you are seeking medications to give him to humanely euthanize him at home. Well to be completely honest, the only thing that can do this is Euthasol. Buprenorphine, which is an opiate, won't cause death and is unlikely to do so even in high amounts. No vet here will tell you that is going to work, nor is it humane to do for your pet. I know you wish to ease his pain, but this is not the answer.

A logical alternative to doing that and putting Dusty through a harmful overdose is to contact a mobile veterinarian who is willing to do a house call and humanely euthanize Dusty.

I am also available for a phone consultation if you still need one. Please follow up with a response if you wish to discuss this further.

- Dr. H