Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is 16 yrs old and he's been very slow the last

Customer Question

My cat is 16 yrs old and he's been very slow the last couple of weeks. I've noticed that he's lost weight in the last few months. But it's a gradual thing. He's still eating and still moving around but now he's peeing outside of the litter box, he's not making into. He's also become very lethargic and isn't as social as he once was. is this a sign of something bigger?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately, yes, I believe so. At 16 years of age, progressive weight loss, lethargy, and a change in behavior from being social to reclusive suggests age-related major organ degenerative disorders such as hepatic and renal insufficiencies as well as age-related malignancies. Pleae have his vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of a senior/geriatric panel of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours why he has declined and if he can be helped...if only palliatively. Cures at his age aren't ikely.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.