Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a 16 year old female and she has CKD. Her creatinine

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old female and she has CKD. Her creatinine level was at 2.4 and she was getting sub q fluids every other day. Last week it went up to 2.7 so they kept her overnight and gave her iv fluids and then re checked it the next day and it went up to 3.4. They kept her another night with the iv fluids and it came down to 3.2, not very much, but they let her come home last Friday. I took her back on Monday for more sub q fluids and then again on this past Wednesday and her creatinine was so high it wouldn't even read The vet didn't have much hope for her but kept her and started another antibiotic called Baytril and pain meds and sub q fluids in hope that it would help. She has had a kidney infection for some time and was on Zenequin but it obviously wasn't helping. The next day her creatinine came down to 2.7 and then another night in the vets and it was down to 2.5 yesterday so they let her come home. I asked the vet if she would be sending her home with antibiotics and she said yes. I also asked if she thought it was because of the Baytril that she was better and she said yes to that also. After I got home I checked on the antibiotic she sent home and it was Zenequin, not Baytril. The Zenequin is what she had been on and it hadn't helped so I was confused as to why they gave her this instead of the antibiotic that did help. I called this morning and asked and they said the vet said it was because they didn't have an injectible form of Zenequin when she was there so they did the Baytril and gave her that. That didn't make any sense to me. It sounds like if they had an injectible form of Zenequin, that they would have given that to her and that wasn't helping anyway. Why would they send her home with the same antibiotic that wasn't working instead of the one that was?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Perhaps, your vet gave Baytril injections in the hospital, saw improvement and assumed this category of antibiotic would work (however she might have improved more from the fluids than antibiotic). Zenequin (marbofloxacin) is in the same category as Baytril (enrofloxacin) and certainly "safer" longer term for a course of treatment in cats. So, they are essentially the same thing although slightly different within the same category. I agree if she had a previous infection and it didn't respond to zenequin then I do not understand why the use of baytril and not turing to a completely different category of antibiotic for her.

If your vet was worried about infection which might suggest kidney infection then is there a urine culture pending? This is very important, and if not already done then when she is rechecked in 2-3 weeks for her urine then a culture at that time would be advisable to rule out persistent infection. This is even more important since she has had multipole rounds with this antibiotic (zenequin) an therefore might have a bacteria which is resistant, especially if this is an E. Coli infection which are notoriously resistant to this category of antibiotics.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.
Hi Angela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Littlebigen. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey